If you have an Apple Magic Trackpad 2 and want to use it on Windows 10, this tutorial is for you.
As we all know, Apple Magic Trackpad is a good companion to Apple Products like iMac, Mac mini and iPad.
In fact, Apple Magic Trackpad 2 can also be used on Windows 10, and it supports almost all the gestures available on macOS.
If you frequently switch between macOS and Windows 10, and you’re using Apple Magic Trackpad 2, just read on and follow the instructions in this article to set your trackpad on Windows 10.
How does it work
Actually, Apple Magic Trackpad 2 is not designed for Windows machines, and Apple doesn’t provide any support on it. However, a genius has already implemented Windows Precision Touchpad for Apple MacBook family / Apple Magic Trackpad 2 on Windows 10.
The method of getting Apple Magic Trackpad 2 working on your Windows PC is quite straightforward: you just need to download the driver file on GitHub and manually install it on your computer, then your Mac trackpad will work like a charm on your Windows 10 machine.
This method also supports the following devices:
- Non-Retina MacBook
- Some non-Retina MacBook Pro (2011 and 2012)
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display (MacBookPro10,1, MacBookPro10,2 & MacBookPro11,1)
- All recent MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2013, 2014, 2015, 13-inch & 15-inch)
- New MacBook (12-inch)
- MacBook Pro 2015, 2016, 2017 (a few SPI devices are in work-in-progress state)
- T2-based devices: MacBook Air 2018, MacBook Pro 2017/2018/2019/2020: Use default fallback, experience might not be optimal.
- Magic Trackpad 2 (USB)
Note: Magic Trackpad 2 (Bluetooth connection) is not supported yet.
Use Apple Magic Trackpad 2 on Windows 10: step-by-step guide
Follow the simple steps below to set your Trackpad on your Windows 10 PC:
- Go to this GitHub page. Then click Releases on the right side of the page.
- Select the driver file that suits your device. Click on it to download it on your computer.
- Extract the .zip driver file you downloaded. Double-click the folder you extracted and go to drivers > arm64 (or amd64).
- Right-click the file AmtPtpDevice.inf and select Install to manually install the driver on your PC.
- Click Yes when Windows 10 prompts for consent.
- Wait several seconds and you’ll be informed that the driver has been installed successfully.
Now you’ve installed the driver on your Windows computer. Read on and follow the steps below to customize your Mac trackpad / Apple Magic Trackpad 2.
Customize Mac precision touchpad on Windows 10
After you successfully installed the driver on your Windows 10 PC, you can head to the Windows Settings to customize your trackpad. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time to invoke the Windows Settings.
- Go to Devices > Touchpad to customize your trackpad.
On Windows 10, you can use taps to click, right-click, select and more:
- single-click: tap with a finger
- right-click: tap with 2 fingers, or press the lower right corner of the touchpad
- multi-select: tap twice and drag
- launch Windows Search: tap with 3 fingers
- view Action Center: tap with 4 fingers
You can also drag 2 fingers to scroll and pinch to zoom, and use multi-finger gestures:
- multitasking view: swipe up with 3 fingers
- show desktop: swipe down with 3 fingers
- switch apps: swipe left / right with 3 fingers
In the Touchpad settings, you can not only modify the the cursor speed, touchpad sensitivity, but also customize the functions of different kinds of taps, finger gestures!
Similarities and differences: on Windows 10 vs. on macOS
Taps, scroll and zoom on Windows 10:
Point and clicks on macOS:
Scroll and zoom on macOS:
Multi-finger gestures on Windows 10:
More gestures on macOS:
After implementing Windows Precision Touchpad for Apple MacBook family / Apple Magic Trackpad 2 on Windows 10, you’ll find that your trackpad works perfectly on Windows 10.